Thank you for your interest in Citizens’ Academy. Click the button at the bottom of this page to begin the application process.
The Sheriff’s Citizens’ Academy is a four-week program designed to give participants a working knowledge of the Christian County Sheriff’s Office. This free program gives participants an in-depth, educational, and often exciting hands-on look behind the scenes of law enforcement work in their community.
2023 TOPICS AND SESSIONS
- Careers within a County Sheriff’s Office
- Law Enforcement Tools of the Trade
- Patrol Division and Traffic Stops
- Building Searches
- Defensive Tactics
- Ethical decision making & law enforcement use of force
- Police K9 presentation
- Operations Division Crime Scene & Evidence Processing
- MILO shooting simulator
- Live fire Range
- Practical Exercise
IMPORTANCE OF THE SHERIFF’S CITIZENS’ ACADEMY
Community-oriented policing is an important and vital part of reducing crime in any community. One major objective of the program is to have graduates become partners with the Christian County Sheriff’s Office to identify problems and solutions to crime issues that affect Christian County. Academy graduates take their knowledge back to their neighborhoods where it can be used to enhance the quality of life in our community.
The introductory meeting/orientation with the Command Staff will be on Thursday, August 31st from 6 PM to 7:30 PM.
All Saturday sessions will run from 8 AM to 5 PM.
- Saturday, September 2nd, 2023; 8 AM-5 PM
- Saturday, September 9th, 2023; 8 AM-5 PM
- Saturday, September 16th, 2023; 8 AM-5 PM
- Saturday, September 23rd, 2023; 8 AM-5 PM – Practical Exercise and Graduation
The Sheriff’s Citizens’ Academy is open to participants that meet the following requirements:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age
- Anyone who lives, works, or owns property in Christian County, Missouri
- Must not be a convicted felon or have a lengthy or violent criminal history; applicants must pass a criminal history check before admittance into the program
- No children are permitted
- No person under the influence of alcohol or other substances will be allowed to participate
- No weapons will be permitted in the classroom or during any exercise
- Casual wear for classroom and exercises (you will be provided an Academy shirt)
- Business casual for ride-along
- Students will conduct themselves in a manner to positively reflect the Christian County Sheriff’s Office
- Students who come under criminal investigation should remove themselves from the program until the investigation is concluded
- No more than one (1) class can be missed in order to graduate
The Sheriff’s Citizens’ Academy is not a physically demanding program. Adults of all ages are encouraged to apply.